5 ways to eat more spinach
Turns out Popeye really was on to something with his crazy spinach eating, muscle popping ways. Science says spinach aids in muscle building. Well there's that and what's a gal to do with an insanely obese bag of spinach?! The bag is nearly 10 lbs and it has forced me to get creative in my cooking. On that note let's all be a bit more like Popeye and talk about a few ways to incorporate more greens into your cooking.
1. quesadillas--I'm going to let you in on one of my best kept secrets, waffle makers are not just for waffle making. They are absolutely amazing to make quesadillas in! Really, who doesn't love crispy cheese that oozes out of the side of corns tortillas??
In this order: cooking spray, one tortilla, handful of your favorite cheese, as much spinach as you can stack, pickled jalapenos for heat, top with second tortilla and close the waffle maker shut. Once you hear the bubbling stop, remove the goodness from the waffle maker and enjoy!
2. soup--top off virtually any soup recipe with spinach! Simply add a few handfuls to cooked warm soup and covered with a lid until wilted. Give it a stir and there you have it, soup's ready!
3. green smoothies--just about every single morning I enjoy a nutrient packed, oh-so-green smoothie. Here is my go to recipe: 3/4C of almond milk, a heavy handful of spinach, 1/2 avocado, 1/2C frozen strawberries, 1 TBS almond butter and 1 scoop of protein. Blend and enjoy. Spinach will work with any fruit packed smoothie as it is virtually tasteless. Check out my smoothie 101 guide here for more tips.
4. wilted--it gets no easier than wilted spinach! This is a great side dish for just about any meal. Wilted spinach in 5 minutes: to a heated skillet add a drizzle of olive oil, a few diced cloves of garlic and stir until fragrant. Add a small bag of spinach to the pan, stir until spinach cooks down, drizzle with balsamic and cover with a lid for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper as desired.
5. pancakes--make pancakes that can be either sweet or savory by adding spinach. There are several ways to make pancakes but the easiest method yet is 2 ingredient pancakes. Add one ripe banana and one raw egg to a blender and blend away. Add a handful of spinach to make this a 3 ingredient pancake and you've got yourself rich in color and nutrient dense spinach pancakes! For sweet cakes top with fresh fruit and Greek yogurt. For savory cakes add salsa and protein of choice.
6. scrambled eggs--give those already ultra nutritious eggs a boost with a handful of spinach. It's as simple as adding it to the pan as your eggs are cooked to your liking.
7. stir fry--when your stir fryis nearly cooked, add as much spinach as you can handle and give that stir fry a few tosses so the spinach cooks down and mixes well with the rest of your ingredients.
I realize the title of this blog post says 5 ways to eat more spinach yet 7 ways are listed. 1. I was never any good at math, still stands true today and 2. you get more bang for your buck here on FlowWithDelight.com, what can I say.